Carlo Ancelotti drops update on David Ospina’s future with Napoli

Napoli manager Carlo Ancelotti has indicated that goalkeeper David Ospina has a future with the Serie A outfit beyond the current campaign. The Colombia international has made 11 appearances in the Serie A since his season-long loan move from Arsenal in the summer but his future has come under question with Alex Meret competing with him for the number one role.

Speaking to reporters, Ancelotti clarified that the Colombian has a future with the Naples outfit regardless of the games he plays from now and the end of the season. He added that Ospina should have started for the midweek Europa League week game but a minor illness meant that he was dropped to the bench, he said: “Ospina was meant to play on Thursday in the Europa League, but wasn't feeling up to it, so I switched things around and used him [against Torino] instead. Ospina will remain at Napoli next season, regardless of how many games he plays.”

Gennaro Gattuso urges AC Milan to remain focused in top four pursuit

AC Milan manager Gennaro Gattuso has urged his players to remain focused on the forthcoming matches as the club seek to push for a top four finish to the season. The Rossoneri have been lingering around the Champions League positions in the past few months but they are currently trailing fourth-placed Lazio by two points with a game in hand.

Speaking in a press conference, Gattuso highlighted that the club have never been in the top four running in the past few years but they have the perfect opportunity to make amends for the same. Barring Atalanta, the Rossoneri have four of the next five matches against teams in the bottom half of the standings but Gattuso has stressed that the squad must face each opposition with the same concentration and desire.

Roberto Mancini hands warning to Nicolo Barella

Italy manager Roberto Mancini has handed a warning to Cagliari midfielder Nicolo Barella amid the ongoing link with Premier League side Chelsea. The 21-year-old has been heavily linked with the Blues since the departure of Cesc Fabregas earlier in the month but Mancini has urged the youngster to think twice before consider a possible departure from the Serie A.

Speaking to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Mancini hailed the qualities of the highly-rated Italian midfielder, who has been building up his reputation with his boyhood club. He added that a move to a big club would undoubtedly suit the midfielder’s progress, although he needs to also worry about the gametime from the starting lineup.

Inter Milan boss highlights his team’s ambition for next year

Inter Milan manager Luciano Spalletti has highlighted the team’s ambition to do well in both the Serie A and Europa League during the second half of the ongoing campaign. The Nerazzurri have endured a mixed run of form during the first phase of the season and this sees them only third in the league standings while they have already been eliminated from the Champions League by the minute of margins.

Speaking to reporters, Spalletti said that he would like the team to perform with a better consistency during the backend of the season and that could potentially mean competing for the trophies up for grabs, he quipped: “We have to perform well in the league as well as the Europa League. Then you have the Coppa Italia which, if you win the first game, takes you close to the final.

“Do we need to lift a trophy? There are only two we still can win because Juventus have already won the Serie A. They’re a team that is superior to everyone else on an individual level. Then of course we have to improve, because even today we lost some balls that a team at our level just cannot afford to lose, giving the opponent a chance to counter attack easily.”

Juventus star open to future Premier League move

Juventus defender Alex Sandro has opened the possibility of playing in the Premier League at some stage in the future. The Brazil international was hotly linked with Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain during the summer but neither of those clubs were able to strike an agreement with the Bianconeri for the left-sided defender.

Sandro has since been in good form for the Bianconeri with two assists from 12 league appearances but there remain question marks regarding his future, having yet to extend his current deal beyond the summer of 2020. In a report covered by Tuttosport, Sandro acknowledged that he has the ambition of playing in the Premier League but that may not happen in the near future as he remains content with the Bianconeri, he said: “I think, one day, who knows what will happen? I have a desire to play in the Premier League but right now I am very happy where I am at, the club I am at [Juventus], the league I am playing in. So today my only thought is to continue where I am because that's where I feel happy.”

Fulham appoint legendary Italian manager to replace Slavisa Jokanovic

Fulham have decided to part ways with manager Slavisa Jokanovic and replaced him with former Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri. Jokanovic had played a crucial role in the Cottager’s return to the Premier League after a four-year absence but the team have struggled this term with just five points after the opening 12 matches.

As such, Cottagers owner Shahid Khan has taken the responsibility of making the change and Ranieri returns to the Premier League for the first time since his Leicester City stint, where he guided them to a historic league title in 2016 against all odds. Speaking after the arrival, Ranieri said:“It is an honour to accept Mr. Khan’s invitation and opportunity to lead Fulham, a fantastic club with tradition and history.

Luciano Spalletti Happy with Comeback against PSV

Inter Milan were able to produce a strong comeback to secure a vital away win over PSV in the Champions League. Inter travelled to Holland looking to make the most of their late win over Spurs in the first group match. However, there was only disappointment for Luciano Spalletti’s men as they fell behind to Pablo Rosario’s goal in the 27th minute. This was a major blow for Inter in the hopes of topping the Champions League group; it would ensure a much easier fixture list in the knockout stages. However, there was a major change in Spalletti’s half-time talk thanks to Nainggolan’s equaliser just before half time.

Inter were able to complete the comeback in the second half when Mauro Icardi scored in the 60th minute. The winner from Icardi was able to place Inter level on points with Barcelona at the top of the table. Considering that this happens to be one of the toughest groups in this Champions League campaign, Inter have done extremely well to open the group with back-to-back wins. Inter were also able to secure their first away victory in the Champions League for the first time in more than five years following the success. Spalletti claimed that he was disappointed to see his team drop a goal early in the game but the manner of the comeback was a delight to the manager.

Vincenzo Montella wants Italian clubs to do well in the Champions League

Former AC Milan and Sevilla manager Vincenzo Montella believes the Serie A clubs have shown genuine progress over the past few seasons with Juventus leading the line in terms of the performance in Europe. The Bianconeri have reached the Champions League final in two of the previous four editions and they are now regarded as one among the favourites with the competition’s top-scorer Cristiano Ronaldo now playing for them.

Speaking to reporters, Montella highlighted that the teams have improved in recent years and he fancies Inter Milan to offer a strong challenge to Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League opener, he said: “It is proof that the Serie A is always very difficult. Ronaldo’s arrival has created competitiveness and Juventus rivals have strengthened a bit, but they have changed a lot and it takes patience. The league is at a higher level than in recent years. The Italian clubs have every chance to play on equal terms as others, and I believe that tomorrow, Inter will play a competitive match. As for Roma, it will be a little more difficult. I hope they all do well.”

Matteo Darmian confirms desire to leave Manchester United

Italy international Matteo Darmian has confirmed that he would like to part ways with Manchester United during the summer transfer window. The 28-year-old managed just five Premier League starts during a frustrating 2017/18 campaign and he has now decided on a fresh challenge regarding of the injury crisis at the club.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Darmian admitted that he wants to move on from the Mancunian giants and does not believe the injury to Antonio Valencia will hamper his ambition, he said:“I don’t think the injury of Antonio is a big injury. I don’t know how long he needs to stay out, but at the moment he is the captain, he’s first choice. I want to play more regularly.Last season, I didn’t play much — that’s my objective and my ambition. That’s why I spoke with the manager and also with the club about my future. I want to leave but we will see what happens because we don’t know.”

Thomas Tuchel won’t rush to play Paris Saint-Germain’s attacking trident

Paris Saint-Germain manager Thomas Tuchel has indicated that he would remain patient with the likes of Edinson Cavani, Neymar, and Kylian Mbappe, who are currently on vacation following the summer World Cup. The trio managed to reach the quarter-final of the tournament with their respective countries with Mbappe going all the way to secure the World Cup crown with France.

As such, Tuchel is wary of playing them shortly after their vacation and has called for patience over the team selection, he said: “We have an extraordinary attack. We have Neymar, Cavani, and Mbappe. I'm looking forward to work with these players.Unfortunately, we still have to be patient, because the players were far too long at the World Cup.Accordingly, they arrive late and the league starts early. That's nothing that pleases a coach.”

Pages